pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 20:11:47 +0000 (UTC)

Brad Rogers posted on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:32:31 +0100 as excerpted:

> Punctuation;  It really can save lives.  Consider:-
>
> "Let's eat, grandma"
>
> "Let's eat grandma"
>
> :-)

Another famous doctrinal example...

Warning: religious doctrinal reference follows.  Skip if you might find
it offensive.

Jesus is recorded in the gospels as saying the following on the cross, to
one of the thieves crucified with him who expressed faith even while the
other thief mocked and as all three were of course crucified and
ultimately to die:

I say unto you, today you shall be with me in paradise.

I say unto you today, you shall be with me in paradise.

Apparently the original Greek the gospels were written in lacked the
comma inserted there as punctuation (and of course even they would have
been translated from the Hebrew Jesus and the thieves would have likely
been using), so it's purely translator's call as to where to place it,
but it makes a big doctrinal difference.  The first reading appears to
support "going to heaven" immediately after death and is the way most
translators (who believe that) choose to parse it, while the second
simply emphasizes the "now" of the statement, thus being the preferred
parsing for those who believe "death is a sleep" and that "the dead know
not anything" until the (believed) resurrection at Christ's second coming.

As I was raised in a church that taught the latter...

FWIW, I'm still a Christian, but my "after death" belief is rather more
nuanced now, and not something I'll choose to go into here as (besides
being even further OT) were I to do so it'd /surely/ be another 400-line
post, complete with all sorts of scripture refs, etc.  As Ecclesiastes
famously says, "There is a time..." and this isn't it.

(But if anybody's interested, you have my email address...)