pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] OT: Youtube/minitube Was: Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] OT: Youtube/minitube Was: Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 18:37:01 +0000 (UTC)

Rob posted on Fri, 19 Apr 2013 07:20:19 -0400 as excerpted:

> DownloadHelper is pretty great if you're using Firefox (supports more
> than just Youtube) and there are user scripts for both Firefox and
> Chrome that inject download links on Youtube videos. I find either of
> those more convenient than firing up a separate app, but my use case is
> watching the videos on my TV. Streaming video is kind of a pet peeve of
> mine due to my flaky suburban broadband.

But downloadhelper's proprietary as well, unfortunately...

I've tried various scripts and etc, and they sort of work, but between
them breaking when youtube updates its interface and the extra hassle of
downloading videos to feed one at a time to whatever player (kaffeine
back in the kde3 era, vlc or smplayer2 now), then deleting most of them,
it was doable, but a lot more work for a much more limited amount of fun.

Minitube has made it fun again, and because I'm not having to constantly
manually download and feed it new video, I can do something else (light,
say a game, or reading news, not reading/writing anything too technical
or banging up a new sysadmin script for whatever) at the same time.

Of course as I mentioned I watch it on my TV too, but that's because my
dual monitors ARE TVs, 42" TVs (without antennas attached, just the HDMI
from the computer).  In the modern digital TV era, above 27-30 inch, due
to economies of scale, the added tuner thrown in to make it a TV as
opposed to just a monitor has substantially NEGATIVE cost, with monitor-
only products coming in at around 3-4 times the cost!  So I bought TVs
and just plug in the HDMI from the computer.  (And at/below 27-30 inch,
TVs run about the same as monitors.

And unlike the analog CRT era, resolution on digital monitors is seldom
much better than on digital TVs, with the exception of the 2560x1600 30"
monitors, and you PAY for them!  Those 2560x1600 30" monitors are 4096
kilopixels, $1036 low end on pricewatch.com ATM.  My dual 42" TVs are
2073.6 kpx each, 4147.2 kpx total, and several times the square inches,
for $400 each, $800 total, plus tax and mounting hardware still under
$1000.  And with 3D tech driving refresh rates on TVs, they actually have
better refresh rates than monitors, these days, 120-240 Hz in many cases,
while monitors are often stuck at 60 Hz.