pan-users

[Pan-users] OT: Youtube/minitube Was: Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] OT: Youtube/minitube Was: Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 02:24:27 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey posted on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:19:55 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 01:07:25 +0700, Ed Fletcher wrote:
>
>> That video wouldn't load in Firefox
>
>   It wouldn't here, until I installed FlashPlayer.

Since I can't agree to the EULAs that are the only use permission
servantware like flash has (among other things, I won't agree to waive my
rights to damages on software I'm not allowed to inspect the source code
of to see what I'm actually agreeing to, not that I could catch anything
strange anyway, but it's the principle of the thing, opaque blackbox
software doesn't get my agreement to waive damages), I couldn't install
it even if I /did/ want to run it.

But minitube's absolutely AMAZING... and it sure beats the find a
downloader utility to download it to disk and then run it from there
dance that I used to do, before minitube! =:^)

The only problem is that you need to supply it a search term to start
with.  As long as you can come up with that...  But it's a lot easier
just to browse youtube in the browser and find something interesting,
when you're not looking for anything in particular.  Sometimes I'll use
the browser to find something, then plug that into minitube's search and
go from there.

On the dual 42" full-HD monitors I have now, as long as the upload
quality wasn't terrible, it really is pretty much Internet TV! =:^)  I'll
watch minitube on one while continuing whatever else on the other.

FWIW, I spent ~4 hours the other night watching/listening to Psy's latest
"Gentleman" in various forms, reaction videos to it, etc, then looking up
"Brown Eyed Girls" to see where everyone was saying the dance came from,
and watching some of them.  (Yes, it did come from them.  Apparently he
actually paid the choreographers of the original piece a royalty of some
sort in ordered to be able to do it, naturally putting his own twist on
it, of course.  But either I was getting too tired by then or I simply
didn't like their style, or both, so I didn't spend too much time on
Brown Eyed Girls.)

So, umm... anyone who doesn't particularly want flash installed, or who
can't install it for legal or whatever reasons, or who simply wants a
different youtube interface, check out minitube.  It's available on Mac,
MSWindows, and Linux, all three. =:^)