pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] OT: Youtube/minitube Was: Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] OT: Youtube/minitube Was: Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 07:20:19 -0400

On 04/18/2013 10:24 PM, Duncan wrote:
> But minitube's absolutely AMAZING... and it sure beats the find a
> downloader utility to download it to disk and then run it from there
> dance that I used to do, before minitube! =:^)

DownloadHelper is pretty great if you're using Firefox (supports more than
just Youtube) and there are user scripts for both Firefox and Chrome that
inject download links on Youtube videos. I find either of those more
convenient than firing up a separate app, but my use case is watching the
videos on my TV. Streaming video is kind of a pet peeve of mine due to my
flaky suburban broadband.

I also had some success with an extension that embedded some free software
video player (Totem rings a bell) and let me stream Youtube's flv/mp4 files
directly in the browser using no proprietary software, but that was a
couple years and Ubuntu versions ago. I have no idea what it was called.

Rob