pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Scoring based on arbitrary headers?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Scoring based on arbitrary headers?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 02:10:45 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Sat, 10 Jan 2015 21:08:27 +0000 as excerpted:

> That did it.  It was the previous absolute score that was causing the
> issue.  In fact, as soon as I removed it from the scoring window, the
> new score showed up.
>
> Awesome help, thanks, Duncan. :)

=:^)

And as often the case, once I got testing I learned more about it myself
too, so thanks for the learning stimulus! =:^)

Years ago, I was I think the first or one of the first to request the
"arbitrary-header" scoring.  That was definitely before the C++ rewrite
that became 0.90, and may well have been before pan even had actual
scoring -- when it only had the trinary kill/normal/watch and filters
that could only kill or watch.

I remember well Charles explaining the overviews issue back then.  My
response was as I explained here, that while having to download first
wasn't ideal, just the fact that I could then automate the killfiling of
one deliberately nymshifting troll with one identifying header that
unfortunately wasn't an overview header, instead of having to manually
delete those posts, even if the posts had to be downloaded in ordered to
be killfiled, would still be a bonus over the manual deletion I was
having to do at that point.

But Charles marked the enhancement as target "bluesky", which means OK,
it'd be nice to have, and if someone codes it up I'll likely take it, but
don't expect any code from me (author/lead-dev, Charles in this case)
implementing it any time soon.

And because I'm not a coder I couldn't make it happen no matter what I
wished. =:^(

At that's exactly where it remained thru the rewrite until the end of the
Charles era and thru the abandoned era.

Then Heinrich picked up development and that was one of several features
that he implemented that Charles never got around to.  I guess binary
posting was probably the big one for many, and score-based automatic
actions was the big thing for others, but while my specific need that had
generated the original request all those years ago was long gone, I'm
still very much of the opinion that a news client that can't handle
arbitrary-header scoring, even if it does require downloading first in
ordered to do, is missing an important feature.  And I'm very glad pan
isn't missing it any more, because there **ARE** nymshifting trolls out
there, and IMO a news client that lacks the tools to deal with that is
lacking an important features indeed!

Meanwhile, while I was prepared for the hit of having to download the
messages, the big negative surprise of the feature for me was the effect
it had on group-switch time due to having to rescan all those cached
messages.  Of course that's primarily because I'm using pan as a news
archiver and have over a gig of text messages distributed between my
active groups, for pan to scan.  Were I to use it normally and expire
headers in some reasonable time while actually caching far fewer than
that, that problem wouldn't be as bad.

I've actually been thinking about splitting my pan text instance in half,
making it two separate instances, a text-archive instance I can open if I
want to look something up, pointed at a $PAN_HOME that can actually be on
a partition I don't keep mounted all the time, and a new text-current
instance with a much smaller cache, that expires messages in say 60-180
days (maybe set the expiry to 180 days for headers/overviews, and set a
cache size that gives me about 60 days worth of messages actually
cached).  That would be small enough that I should be able to run
arbitrary-header scores if I wanted to without taking unduly long to
switch groups.

It'd also let pan startup far faster than it does now -- I actually have
pan set to start with kde and keep it running basically aways, because
with that many messages cached it takes too long to start, especially the
first time after boot when the storage cache (even SSD!) is cold.

But the idea isn't fully formed in my head yet.  Ideally I'd have the
cached messages from text-current copy automatically to text-archive
before the cache rotated them out, so the archive instance could stay
updated without actually having to download all those messages over
again, but I have to figure out how I'm going to implement that and then
actually do it...

So it might be awhile or I might never do it.  But I'm thinking about it,
and if I did do it, that'd make arbitrary-header scoring much more
workable for me, as I could actually change groups in reasonable time
again, that being the problem that had me turning off arbitrary-header
scoring so fast after the test this time.

Another thing that could make a difference but that I didn't test, would
be strictly limiting arbitrary-header scoring to specific groups.  I'm
guessing that would limit the group-switch time penalty to only those
groups where I had arbitrary-header scores active.  This is something
most folks could do pretty easily, as most folks won't need to arbitrary-
header score on /all/ their groups, only specific groups with specific
issues, like that nymshifting troll I wanted to killfile that triggered
the initial feature request all those years ago, or the specific
forwarded-for watch it appears you are doing.

Hmm... That was /supposed/ to be a quick ack-N-thanks reply, basically
the smiley and first sentence/paragraph, but it didn't turn out that way!
=:^0