pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Scoring based on arbitrary headers?

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Scoring based on arbitrary headers?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 19:02:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 05:19:20 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Jim Henderson posted on Wed, 07 Jan 2015 00:34:20 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>>> Meanwhile, just to confirm, arbitrary header scoring did work, but
>>> only after downloading the messages and possibly manually triggering a
>>> rescore,
>>> correct?
>>
>> Hmmm, I didn't try a manual rescore, but the scoring that applied to a
>> post that should have been affected didn't show up when I went to look
>> at the rules applied.
>
> OK, so we do /not/ have confirmation that pan actually does arbitrary
> header scoring, but we /do/ have confirmation that /if/ it does, it
> doesn't do it automatically after the download, and requires a manual
> rescore.

I'm not sure that that's an accurate summary of what my testing found - I
ended up not getting a score based on an arbitrary header.

Checking the score on a message that I know matches my arbitrary scoring
rule, it doesn't show the score item I added.

The lines I added to ~/News/Score were:

%BOS
%Score created by JSH
[*opensuse.org*]
Score:: =9999
%EOS

Where [address redacted] is a valid IP address.  I followed the format
used for the From: score that appears above it in the file.

> That is of course assuming there wasn't some bug in your regex or the
> like, that failed the expected match. =:^\

My initial instinct was that it should have matched, but I realize now
that the address I put in didn't escape the '.' characters, which may be
causing it to fail.  I see that the From: rule example does, so I'll try
that when I have a minute free today.

> I guess I should do a bit of experimentation of my own... but I'm lazy.
> Still, if I get the motivation... sometimes these things build in the
> background until I just decide to do it one day...

I know the feeling. :)

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson