pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Scoring based on arbitrary headers?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Scoring based on arbitrary headers?
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 09:04:36 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 21:27:05 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 19:02:20 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>>> That is of course assuming there wasn't some bug in your regex or the
>>> like, that failed the expected match. =:^\
>>
>> My initial instinct was that it should have matched, but I realize now
>> that the address I put in didn't escape the '.' characters, which may
>> be causing it to fail.  I see that the From: rule example does, so I'll
>> try that when I have a minute free today.
>
> Nope, changed the rule and no change.

Yeah.  Failure to escape the '.' characters (which in regex match any
single character unless escaped) would simply result in, for example,
sample.com and samplexcom both matching an unescaped sample.com regex
(you'd use the escaped form, sample\.com, to match the dot specifically).

So the unescaped form would result in additional false matches, not
additional match-failures, which if it's match-failures you're seeing,
means the unescaped . can't be the reason.

(Unless of course there's a bug, but the actual regex processing code is
surely library code, not pan itself, and if there was a bug in that you'd
very likely be seeing it in other packages depending on that lib as
well...)