pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan bug 712539 and 757672

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan bug 712539 and 757672
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 00:54:49 +0100

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 19:36:20 +0100
Detlef Graef <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 11.03.2016 um 13:19 schrieb Rhialto:
> > On Thu 10 Mar 2016 at 20:40:14 +0100, Detlef Graef wrote:
> >> After removing the above code and one additional file (pan.desktop) from
> >> the makefile I finally could build Pan on FreeBSD with clang.
> >>
> >> Till now Pan (GIT 126d64e) is running perfectly on FreeBSD.
> >
> > * | 126d64e (github/filterinfo2) Replace RulesInfo.deque<RulesInfo> with
> > deque<RulesInfo *>.
> > * | 188488d Fix missing recursion (this is a pre-existing bug).
> > * | b7c9815 Changed a deque<FilterInfo> into a deque<FilterInfo *>
> >
> > So I guess that means we can commit the above 3 patches.
>
> Yes, I think so. Pan runs now since 24 hours on FreeBSD, I've used it
> several times, no problem. On Linux since 48 hours no problems.

This is great to hear, so I went ahead and cherry-picked those three
commits to master. Many thanks for looking at this, guys!

> > * | d7c1189 This is needed to make it build for me.
> >
> > I'm wondering about this one; if you revert it, do you get the same problem
> > have with it on NetBSD? I get
>
> I've reverted the change, and I could build Pan.
>
> I've reverted the change, then:
>
> make clean
> autogen.sh --with-gnutls --disable-silent-rules
> make

I'm wondering, if you compile in more features, does it still work? Try:

./autogen.sh --with-gnutls --with-dbus --with-gmime-crypto --with-gtkspell
--enable-libnotify --enable-gkr

(This is the current Fedora config.)

> > but I'm wondering why that is not a problem on linux.
> > (one difference may be in msgfmt: I use the one from the NetBSD base
> > system which likely is different).
>
> On FreeBSD 10.2 this version is installed:
>
> $ msgfmt -V
> msgfmt (GNU gettext-tools) 0.19.5.1
> Copyright  1995-1998, 2000-2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> Lizenz GPLv3: GNU GPL Version 3 oder neuer
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

So, those "|" comment lines pretty much denote strings that have been
rewritten on po file merge. They can be safely removed if they cause
problems but I believe you're seeing the error due to some other
(missing?) package. Maybe intltool, not sure.

I'm a little bit surprised to see stuff like appdata & desktop files
causing problems on BSD because this is a standard feature of many gtk
and gnome apps. It might be that some BSD-specific config is required but
I'm pretty sure BSD package maintainers will have an answer, so I wouldn't
worry too much about it.

Just my 5 cents,
pk