pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] Re: jbig2dec now licensed GPLv2 or later

From: Ralph Giles
Subject: [pdf-devel] Re: jbig2dec now licensed GPLv2 or later
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 00:02:42 -0800

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 08:38:09AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> Wonderful news! Many thanks to you and to artofcode. Now we can write
> support for the jbig2 filter using your decoder and the
> apache-licensed encoder.

Excellent, I'm glad it was a useful move.

I would however reinterate my argument that a GNU project should not be
supporting jbig2 (or JPX) encoding. This is a patented format. The risk
for decoder implementations is low, and it is beneficial to be able to
render and convert documents using this filter, but we should not be
encouraging users to create such documents anew.

 -r