pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Compiling for windows

From: gerel
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Compiling for windows
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:29:57 -0300

 > Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:21:13 +0200
 > From: address@hidden
 >

 >    To use generic code able to compile in all plattform may be a solution
 >    for this specific issue, but we will surely find situations where we
 >    will need to use code A for one plattform and code B for another
 >    plattform.
 >
 >    We need some kind of preprocessor definitions determining the host
 >    plattform.
 >
 > A possible alternative would be to manage the situation using a more
 > fine-grained approach: to test capabilities for single functions (such
 > as the version of the `open' function existing in the system) using
 > autoconf.
 >
 > What do you (all) think about this?

The well-known way to do it is with preprocessor conditionals and platform
macros (e.g. __WIN32__). It leads to ugly code in certain situations but they're
not that common.
The autoconf approach is not bad. But it's capability based and we're gonna
probably need much more preprocessor conditional checks (since we'll also need
conditional checks). Correct me If I'm wrong.

cheers all,

-gerel