pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Free Software PDF validator

From: Jay Berkenbilt
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Free Software PDF validator
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:58:14 -0500

cedric Gémy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello sam
>
> i'm looking for such a software too. For press and print purpose I need
> to check if PDF match some criterias or standards.
> I actually don't know any free, unfortunately. I'm not a dev and really
> have no mean to do it by myself (or it would already be on the way), but
> i could help if someone would like to try.
>
> cedric
>
>> I'm looking for a Free Software PDF validator, do you know of such a project?
>>
>> It would be very helpful in determining the cause of document compatibility
>> problems with existing Free Software PDF readers if the validity of the
>> document could be proven.

I might make a light plug for my qpdf software
(http://qpdf.sourceforge.net).  It does structural validation of PDFs
only; it doesn't look at content, standards compliance, or anything like
that.  If one were going to build a more rigorous validator, qpdf or its
code base might be a possible starting point.  However, even in its
current state, it can be useful for checking PDFs for errors (if, say,
you're generating your own) and for manually fixing broken PDF files.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <address@hidden>