Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] email fixes and questions

From: Tony (Angles) Puglisi
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] email fixes and questions
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:54:51 +0000

Lars Kneschke (address@hidden) wrote*:

>> address@hidden schrieb:
>>
>> Work continues nicely on the socket classes, I have to finish IMAP
>> socket class in progress. nicely on the socket classes, I have to
>> finish IMAP socket class in progress.
>
>I would really like to make use of this classes for Squirrelmail too.
>
>Is that a good idea already?

I would say the pop3 socket class is pretty much done, it works but needs some
small
tweaks. The IMAP socket class is total work in progress, not ready.

These classes are actually drop in replacements for php's imap extensions. They
take
the same commands and arguments as the php functions. If you create the
mail_dcom
class AND the server does not have php IMAP builtin, then these socket classes
load
instead. There should be no noticable difference to the calling process except
that
I have only implemented those functions that I use in the email app, I'll do the
rest later just so they are there.

Any app that calls php's IMAP functions can use these socket classes, however
Squirrelmail has always had it's own IMAP code that does not match the php IMAP
in
terms of function names and arguements. I noticed they make extensive use of
regex
in their code and I tried to avoid that in these classes as regex can be slower
than
simpler string functions.

The mail_dcom functions are abstracted with function names that closely
resemble the
php function names, but that will use builtin php code or the socket code
depending
on what is available on that particular server installation.

So the answer is anyone who calls php's IMAP functions can use the class by
noting
the names of the abstracted functions, but that Squirrelmail does not use any
phpIMAP-like code, so neither php-builtin nor socket IMAP functions can be
dropped in.

However, the mail_message class is supposed to hide the gorry details of email
app
writting, such as mime handling,from the calling process, so that anyone can
write
an email app with a small amount of study. This mail_msg "api" is by no means
complete nor documented, but I already make use of some of these simplified
functions, in fact most of the logic for the email app actually resides in that
mail_msg class.

So at some point, any phpgroupware app, or any other app, could incorporate
elements
of email functionality in their app without having to know about the details
behind
the scenes.
--
that's "angle" as in geometry