[Phpgroupware-developers] mailing list (was adressbook-normalization)

From: Brandon
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:47:00 -0700

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 02:18:57PM -0800, Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) wrote:
> I agree that this would be the best way to go for larger mailing list
> needs.
>
> However, I think we should still allow a way for a user to define small
> mailing lists from their addressbook just as you can in many other email
> programs. It would be very limited and simply take your users "group" as
> the to address and replace that with the list of addresses that are in
> that group. All of the addresses would show up in the To: field and as
> such would show that it is not a real mailing list tool. Just a "mail to
> this predefined list of people" function
>
> Seek3r
Isn't this really two different things, if I define a mail group in my
addressbook, it's really only for me to use.  Whereas a mailing list
is for all the users on the list to use.  As for using mailman, that's
fine, but one of the things missing from most mailing list apps I've
experimented with is an easy to use and search archive.  Something
that shows each message individually, sorted by month or something,
and allows searching would be nice.  Yahoo groups has nice archiving,
but major reliability issues.

Brandon