Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] instalation problem-----mysql

From: Michael Dean
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] instalation problem-----mysql
Date: 09 Feb 2002 09:28:01 -0600

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 02:31, dhayalan suresh wrote:
> dear friends,
> when i  installed the latest version   of phpgroupware 0.9.14  when i run
> the setup/index.php i got  problems with
> mysql creation of tables .....it started saying
>
>            1.  the char data type length  should be within 255  for various
> tables like chat ,
> felamimail,weather we changed certain lengths of columns to be 140
>             2. it also said to define the not null  constrain for  columns
> with  various keys like  unique,primary ..

This is a little vague to me.  Any app (which should be all apps) use
the DDL abstraction and should not experience any problems with the 255
character varchar limit, since code is in there to prevent an attempt to
create a larger varchar field.

Also, item #2 is slightly misleading.  While you should have a NOT NULL
on a primary key, it is not necessary on a unique index if your
application supports one possible record with a null value in the unique

> so we changed the  asked things   and  it  started working  fine...is there
> any thing  wrong with mysql version ..or
> with the design  of phpgroupware..if iam right saying  it as a bug how come
> u relesase it as a stable version..if iam not wrong??.
> kindly answer me..

MySQL and PostgreSQL support is very mature at this point.  Perhaps it
would help to provide more specifics (server OS, web server, db server
version) and paste the exact error messages as viewed on screen and/or
in any web server or sql server logs.

--
Michael L. Dean
Double Choco Latte - http://dcl.sourceforge.net/