Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] jscalendar

From: ceb
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] jscalendar
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:53:37 +0200 (CEST)

<On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Lars Kneschke wrote:

> Chris Weiss <address@hidden> schrieb:
> >>Today it is more important for our project to have the right license
> >then
> >>producing code. This is something that makes me really unhappy!!!
> >
> >that's too bad.  Being a gnu project means we're protected under the
> >FSF's legal
> >umbrella and we get free bandwidth for the web server.  It's
> >potentially worth
> >millions of dollars to "have the right license".  Not to mention the
> >nice cushy
> >feeling of making a product that's truely "free"...
> >
> I don't feel "Truely free" at the moment.
> If we have a GPL only api we need to relicense LGPL classes as GPL to be
> able to use them. This is something i would not like, because the author
> just had something in his mind, when he selected the LGPL.
> So currently we keep our self from using existing free classes. We gives me
> no nice cushy feeling.

please do not mix up the topic. we are talking about a collection of js
scripts - the jscalendar - which appears to be licensed under lgpl but
unfortunatelly the author broke that license by himself by adding some odd
sentence to the scripts header info. the subject is the lgpl _violation_,
not the lgpl itself. the jscalendar didnt get readded to our cvs tree yet
because of that violation, not because its lgpl licensed...

grtx. ceb