RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpgroupware documentation

From: Thomas Viehmann
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpgroupware documentation
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:12:39 +0000

Hi.

Brian Johnson (address@hidden) wrote:
> When can we have a system implemented that will encourage (or even allow)
> user participation in developing docs?
>2. a second wiki with public write access for developing docs that would
> be ported to the docs.phpgroupware.org one by hand (occasionally)
Good thought.
Maybe even a system that would allow user comments on the official pages.
(With a show only official option etc.) I've seen this e.g. for the Zope book on
zope.org (yeah, that's some other equipe that is more open source than free
software, sorry), and AFAIK you can decide whether to allow anonymous additions
or
only registered users.
That way, you'd get corrections and annotations more or less in the right place
(advantage for the project) and save users of checking both official and
inofficial
documentation (advantage for the users).
Unfortunately, I'm totally incompetent w.r.t. software they use, but I've
observed
that I often find that convenient.

Another point about Documentation:
Something I'd personally like in the doc directories on CVS would be a short
file
giving a very short summary of the apps, possibly along with the maintainer
information, ideally in a RFC822-header-style file.
That could be used to give you as application maintainers a more direct handle
on
the description of the apps, e.g. in the rpm, debian descriptions as well as a
detailed list of supported apps on the web page.

Cheers

T.