Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XSLT-version

From: Alessandro Farina
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XSLT-version
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:38:11 +0200

Hi,
first of all: I LOVE phpgw!

Maybe I've worked really a little on the phpgw, but I want to express
a suggestion too.

When I've to begin a project, at work or at home, first of all I look
at my resources.
Surely I study request and specification, but, the most important are resources.

Probably phpgw is looking too far, considering the resources.

I suggest not to look to evolution or nextgen, or better, to consider
any evolution only if it's strictly needed by technology 'jumps' (es.
php 5).

The project coordinators, and the people who are doing the most of the
work, should make something like a 'call for coding', to check who is
really intentioned to work on which app.
After the call, they should decide which app will survive in active
development and which will survive only in 'spirit'.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to obtain a framework,
with a certain nuber of apps, that is useful, stable, easy to develop.

At the moment there are 206 open bugs on savannah... :(
All the developers should aim their work to reduce that numbrer to 0.

If we put in continuously new apps, new technology...phpgw will never
become an adult.

My personal (very personal) roadmap should be:
1) call for coding
1.1) call for documentation :)
2) selection of the apps to survive
3) selection of the innovation strictly needed (es. XSLT)
4) bug free 0.9.16
5) add the innovation to 0.9.16->0.9.18
6) bug free 0.9.18 -> 1.0 RC

that's all

P.S.: don't blame for my english...

P.P.S.: in the end, I wanto to be clear: I LOVE phpgw

--
cheers
Alessandro