Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Resources (was XSLT-version)

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Resources (was XSLT-version)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:16:40 +1000

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 02:38, Alessandro Farina wrote:
> Hi,
> first of all: I LOVE phpgw!

So do I :)

> Maybe I've worked really a little on the phpgw, but I want to express
> a suggestion too.

I know that you and your colleagues have been doing some good things
with phpgw.  All contributors are welcome to take part in this
discussion.

> When I've to begin a project, at work or at home, first of all I look
> at my resources.
> Surely I study request and specification, but, the most important are
> resources.
>
> Probably phpgw is looking too far, considering the resources.

Yes, but if we don't have grand plans to work towards, we get stuck in

> I suggest not to look to evolution or nextgen, or better, to consider
> any evolution only if it's strictly needed by technology 'jumps' (es.
> php 5).

I must disagree here.  This attitude is what lead to 16 still having
huge amounts of php3 compatiable code.

> The project coordinators, and the people who are doing the most of the
> work, should make something like a 'call for coding', to check who is
> really intentioned to work on which app.
> After the call, they should decide which app will survive in active
> development and which will survive only in 'spirit'.

This is a nice idea.  I would actually take it a few steps further.

Lets make it more business focused.  Developers can propose features
they would like to code for the project, but are contrained by other
commitments, but if funds were available they would be able to do it.
Then we actively seek sponsorship of the feature.  The other thing is
people seeking features can post a RFE and indicate if they are willing
to discuss funding such a feature.

> The most important thing, in my opinion, is to obtain a framework,
> with a certain nuber of apps, that is useful, stable, easy to develop.

I would like to see they concept of the phpgw core expanded from just
the api to an integrated PIM suite, with extra plugins.

> At the moment there are 206 open bugs on savannah... :(
> All the developers should aim their work to reduce that numbrer to 0.

Again this gets back to resources.  Of the 206 around 20% are mine.
When will I have time to fix them?  How long is piece of string,
unfortunately the reality is that fixing bugs, providing support and
keep things ticking over doesn't pay the bills.

> If we put in continuously new apps, new technology...phpgw will never
> become an adult.

I agree, but also a child grows up, which I think phpGW has to do too.
We need to decide what for phpGW is going to become, and I hope this
discussion allows that to happen.

> My personal (very personal) roadmap should be:
> 1) call for coding
> 1.1) call for documentation :)

Docs are desperately needed.  Not just developer docs, but something for
our end users.

> 2) selection of the apps to survive
> 3) selection of the innovation strictly needed (es. XSLT)
> 4) bug free 0.9.16
> 5) add the innovation to 0.9.16->0.9.18
> 6) bug free 0.9.18 -> 1.0 RC

Now comes the question, what resources are you willing to commit to this
plan?  I hear a lot of great ideas from people, but ideas don't become
apps by themselves ;)

> that's all
>
> P.S.: don't blame for my english...

You really don't want me to try to respond in Italian ;)

> P.P.S.: in the end, I wanto to be clear: I LOVE phpgw

I can see that, and I hope you can see that I would like you to be more
involved :)

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
API Coordinator
phpGroupWare