Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Dirty play: copyright used as patent

From: Sigurd Nes
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Dirty play: copyright used as patent
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:28:43 +0200

Giorgio Pioda wrote:

Hi Sigurd

Just to have a complete information...

What about you and Resight? Do you also apply some kind of copyright / patent
for the trunk fixes ? The fact that your fixes are not uploaded is related to
the resistance against this semi-patenting approach?

The fixes have been offered many times over in a win-win scenario but they are being blocked.

I think the best solution for everybody would be to have the two repos synchronized - but that would mean that the system would have less constraints as I think developers should be free to do their work without imposed restrictions, and that best practice should be encouraged by advice and examples rather than by restrictions and intimidations.

The big issue now is the version of the GPL.
What I have been asking for is a delay in transfer to GPLv3 - not a permanent state - but it seems difficult.

Regards

Sigurd