Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Dirty play: copyright used as patent

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Dirty play: copyright used as patent
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:50:45 +1100

Hi all,

I have had enough of Sigurd's trolling on this list.  I am top posting
as I can't be bothered refuting another round of baseless claims from
Sigurd.  I won't get into discussing the terms of my company's contracts
with third parties - especially on this list.

ReSight have informed me that Sigurd is not employed by them, and has no
authority to make any representations on their behalf, let alone post
details of private discussions on a public mailing list.

Sigurd's vendetta against me is damaging phpGroupWare.  I propose that
this be Sigurd's, final warning, if he does not cease with the personal
attacks and trolling, I will ask that the community support actions to
prevent further time wasting and damage to the project.

For the record, phpGroupWare is a GPLv3 project.  Sigurd has freely
released his code under the GPLv3.  It is time to end this stupid
discussion around licensing.  Sigurd's proposed version of felamimail is
undistributable - he was warned that this was likely to be the case
months ago.

phpGroupWare values robust technical debate, but the debate must focus
on the merit of the proposal.  Spreading FUD, personal attacks,
distortions, lies, blackmail or constant reopening of discussion are not
conducive to a properly functioning project.

We now return to our regular programming...

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 21:57 +0200, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> I think the following is important (although is tells how sad Dave really is)
> -
> because it shed some light on Dave's reluctance to discuss the version issue
> on
> the GPL.
>
> Dave is "asking" for money.
>
> Also notice his double standard as he makes every contributor assign their
> work
> over to FSF - except his own.
>
> Look at the code recently contributed to phpgroupware by mr Dave Hall - yep -
> that's right - it's Not FSF holding the Copyright - then it would be less
> likely
> to be used as a source of income.
>
> I must admit I am really disappointed in Dave - which I find is trying to
> restrict our freedom by using some kind of a semi-patent-approach and even
> trying to take control over a project where he had the role of a
> sub-contractor.
>
> We still want to contribute to phpgroupware - but Dave has to shape up as he
> is
> not making this any easier.
>
> Anyway - the Resight project staying on GPLv2 is only temporary after all -
> but
> we would like the back ported FelaMiMail as there is no alternative.
>
> Regards
>
> Sigurd
>

>  > Now that my contract had ended (as of 5pm, yesterday AEST), any
>  > relicensing of my work would not only require my consent, it would incur
>  > additional costs.  If ReSight AS wishes to make such a request please
>  > forward it in writing to:
>  >
>  > Dave Hall Consulting
>  > PO Box XXX