Pingus font found!!!

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Pingus font found!!!
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:35:15 +0100

I was reading through the old Pingus e-mails last night so that I could
find out what bugs are still around.  I then came across this...

> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:57:39 +0200
> From: Kenneth Gangstoe <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Font used in Pingus?

> Thats a real pity, that previous font was one if the nicest fonts I've
> seen :)
>
> None of these two suggestions really come close IMO. Seen through
> collections at http://www.1001freefonts.com/ ?

I agree.  The original Pingus font is the nicest and most suitable font
for Pingus.  That's why I have been on the web several times trying to
find the Pingus font.

I used the expert system at <http://www.fonts.com> or the quite good "bit
map matching" system at <http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont>.  I started
with those as the other types of Font searching on the web seem to be just
alphabetic catalogues of fonts.  You have to look through pages of fonts
to try to find the one that matched.

Anyway, still wanting to find the Pingus font, I went to
<http://www.1001freefonts.com>, as directed above.  And lo and behold, I
found the Pingus font!!!  It's called Expletive Deleted.

The zip file there containing the font also contains a txt file.  It says
that the font is free for personal use but written permission is required
for commercial use.  No mention is made of what can or should be done for
using the font in other circumstances.

The web site link in the txt file does not exist now.  So I used Google to
see if the font designer had another web site.  And lo and behold again, I
found it.  It is at <http://www.dcwi.com/~greywolf>.  Click on Free Fonts
to see the fonts that he has designed, including another link to download
the Expletive Deleted zip file.

Unfortunately, the txt file mentions that the font does not include
international characters.  However, a polite e-mail to him asking him to
design some international characters is a possibility, if he is not busy.

One thing that I noticed when comparing the fonts to see if they matched
or not.  They look 99% the same, apart from the odd splodge that appears.
However, the parentheses seem wider in comparison to the font used in
Pingus.  Is it because the downloadable versions of the font are version 2
and the Pingus font is based on version 1?

Thanks,
Gervase.