Re: [Protux-devel] how to go on during 0.16.x and 0.17.x

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] how to go on during 0.16.x and 0.17.x
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:52:45 -0200

we usually do the same as common GNU/Linux standards. We release 0.16.0, fork
the CVS tree to 0.17.0
and , as long as users send bug reports on 0.16.0, we fix directly on the
packages and release 0.16.1, 0.16.2, and so on.

but in CVS there will be no more 0.16.x

> this correct ? So in this case we won't stay very long in the 0.16 serie,
> and go on with 0.17 quite soon ?

> In the PLAN file, there are following goals which should be reached during
> development of 0.17.x: - Mixer/Recorder review
>  - Duplex mode
>  - correction filters
>  - mp3/ogg import
>  - improvements
> For the first 3 points, i won't be able to contribute in coding, as my
> knowledge of libmustux/protux and generally sound programing is not good
> enough yet, and not enough time to spend to get it for the moment. Perhaps
> i'll be able to contribute to mp3/ogg import, but i think i'll be mainly
> able to contribute on the last point: other improvements.

I will concentrate on reviweing Mixer / Slice techniques, start duplex
implementation, start
the correction filter editing mode (a 3rd editing mode, like <f1>  and <f2> ),
and solve
the vertical problems (add tracks/ resize tracks), which is a pretty complicate
question, although it does not
seems to be.

> So i could work on following points:
>  - autostuff (mainly to get rid of make -f admin/Makefile.common)
>  - improvement on ProjectManager
>  - general interface and layout stuff:

Cool. The more important is autostuff since it is pretty confusing right now,
as you said.
If you have time,

>     - The LCD, cursor/zoom status and BusMonitor all draw in the same
> MustuxDrawable widget, it would be better that each has it's own widget, so
> protux will adapt better to different screensizes and behave better when
> resizing the windows (no more hardcoded screenoffsets for positioning). It
> will also be easier to add new stuff like the Spectrogram. (should be easy
> to change) -

There could be more than 1 lcd, surely, it is a matter of adding them in
Interface and use them for different things, as you said.

I could try to work on vzoom, and on a scrollbar which appears
> when not all tracks can be displayed on the screen. - Other
> interface/layout stuff

I prefer to work on this myself. There are some implication on Mixer engine
that must be carefully solved when solving the vertical questions.

thanks