Re: [Protux-devel] Manual

From: Fabio dos Santos
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Manual
Date: 24 Jan 2003 18:30:43 -0200

Well,

Generally, I was thinking that user would not have to compile the manual
from the LaTex sources, rather, we'd distribute it as a PDF or PS file,
much like we thought about with the Protux application.

There are several advantages to using LaTex for the User's Guide: it
organizes the Table of Contents and index, we get good quality
Typesetting, and its easy to change/add/reorganize. And we can make a
book out of it easily even if you are using Windows.

I personally think its easier to read/write a LaTex document than HTML.

On other other hand, HTML would make it easy to make an online reference
Guide. So I think we should use both. Changing from one to the other
easy.

But let's not put the wagons in front of the horses. Before we think
about which format we will use, we should worry about the contents of
the whole thing. Right now its pritty bare. There's nothing about the
actual workings of the program, and there isn't very much information
there yet! that's why i was talking about a module, and not distribute
the source of the user guide yet. The user's guide is actually a whole
different project, and different set of problems.

Also, for sake of having the actual file produced, we could always
provide a pre-compiled PS and PDF versions for those fo you who really
don't want to have to worry about LaTex. . .

RFC please!!!
Fabio

PS: Perhaps your a mistaken LaTex with TeX?
PPS: Luciano: Weird!! I've had many problems with LaTex, but none of
them related to fonts. What kind of problems are you having? Is it
related to the resolution of the output? Or accents problems?