Re: [Protux-devel] Re: Buffered micro view

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Re: Buffered micro view
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:27:42 +0200

Hi,

Lots of time to think :)
Result: You can forget all about it if protux decide to use a "DiskStream"
class.

One of the benefits is that all audio information for micro zoom lvl's is
already in small buffers in main memory, so no extra hard disk acces voor
micro view mode.

Disadvantage: more memory consumption.

Why using a DiskStream class?
1. Reading and writing files done via the O.S. is also done via small buffers,
but very slow compared to for example writing/reading a file of 1 MB at once,
making it possible to handle much more audiostreams at once.

2. Central place for opening/closing/reading/writing a file. When
playing/recording in micro view, one file is opened for playing and the same
file with exact the same information is again opened/read (seaked through)
for the micro view drawing.

3. Your hard drive last longer :)

Remon

P.S. This is of course not my'n invention.  I read first about it on the
ardour dev. list. I looked at some code and that was almost the same thing I
had in mind.