[Protux-devel] Re: Buffered micro view

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: [Protux-devel] Re: Buffered micro view
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:15:13 -0300

Remon has said some emails ago

> 4. Peak drawing: Interesting thing, it's maybe an idea to use a/the
> peakbuffer for micro-view as well. (I looked already for this, and think
> it'll be much better) Peakbuffer is now ~ 1/20 of the actuall audio size,
> a buffer containing the "actuall peaks" is even smaller. Using this very
> small buffer, it is possible to draw a (close to) perfect waveform in
> microview. This REDUCES hard disk acces a LOT (infinite, to be precise :)
> ). It is maybe even possible to draw the waveform for zoomLevels up to lvl
> 20+ with this buffer. For larger levels CPU-power consumption is getting
> problematic, but putting this higer levels in a buffer requires only a
> small amount of memory. Just an idea I got while doing peakbuildig stuff.
> Already measured some things. If you think this is something to be worked
> out, then I will do some more measurements.
> 4a. Make peak building threaded. :) (Maybe something for me ?)

Sounds interesting, but I have a question. In a 1:1 hzoom level, would I have
to buffer ALL the samples?
Maybe I missed something. Because the buffer is the image of all peaks of audio
source for a given level. If I buffer 1:1, I will have
to buffer all samples, which is bad. Thats why I decided to read directly from
audio when hzoom level is below 1:64 (RFC)