[Protux-devel] RTS problems

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: [Protux-devel] RTS problems
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:20:45 +0200

I've run mplayer on this computer but don't know if it was with RTS or not.
But I didn't have problems (audio dropouts) with mplayer, and I can't get
ardour at work here :-( (jack installation problems)

> This is strange, I have been using in RTC *all the time*, and it is pretty
> normal and stable here. But when I set setuid , I indeed get some crashes.
> Only running as root seems to make it run smoothly.

Do you mean, that protux isn't running smoothly with SUID?

> Running in real time is a requirement to get low latencies.

Of course, but it shouldn't crash the program or freeze your computer ;-P

>So I suggest you to check what happens
> with other applications that use real time scheduling, such mplayer or
> ardour.
Ehm, the only program I know of which use RTS on my computer is the artsd .
And that app. is running fine, but I don't know if it's running "almost" RT
or RT.

I compiled MADM with param.sched_priority =  80 (min = 1, max = 99), and
everything is fine now even if I use the same testcase:

Compiling Protux, running protux, recording audio and using Vertical Zoom like
an idiot :-)
Result: No xruns at all, and protux running rock stable, hehehe

As far as I understood, running a process with Real Time Priority is a risky
thing. And running it with "almost" Real Time Priority give the same results,
but (on my computer): "no deadlocks" in the kernel or something else freezing
my whole computer.

And low latencies has also much to do with the kernel, using an preemptive
kernel is also a big step forward in having low latencies. The good news is,
that within a few months we can use kernel 2.6.x which is even preemtable in
the kernel itself.

Only thing I can say is, just give it a try and use priority = 80 (or somewhat
lower/higher) and see what happens if you put a real high load on your CPU,
and do not use a higher priority then necessary.

Can somebody help me with this:
Where can I set the width for the TPA??
Thanks :-)

Remon