Re: [Protux-devel] RTS problems

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] RTS problems
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:29:14 +0200

Ehm, alas I was to early, even with param.sched_priority =  50 protux is
sometimes freezing my computer. Artswrapper is using this value, and it's
actually to low for good results, but I still have those "freezes" :-(

Using RTS in this way (the MADM implementation), the whole program runs in RTS
mode, so I thought, if I only run the private Threads in Mixer in RTS mode we
achieve the same results.
And thats true, except my computer was again freezing randomly. I used pthread
instead of QThread because QThread::Priority didn't seem to work.

Regarding thread priority, we certainly should only set specific threads to
some priority level, instead of the whole program :-P
Using pthreads is IMO better as we have more control options compared to
QThread.

JACK is using a watch_dog thread with a higher priority then the thread it is
watching, if this thread returns an error (time-out related), this watch_dog
thread is killing the related threads. Don't know if this is a solution to
the random freezes, but I think we should carefully use this feature until we
know for sure it runs stable and no more random 'freezes' happens, before
notifying users to run protux as root or with root privileges

I'll hope we can fix this soon,

Greets,

Remon