Re: [Protux-devel] RTS problems

From: rsff
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] RTS problems
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:50:44 -0300

Guys,

>From what I understood, Protux needs low-latencies in order to get good
recording performance. But it is forced by the kernel to share resources
with other running programs, and some of the operations it handles are
also resource hungry, which means, using a lot of resource for some
tasks plus having to share the leftover resources for recording.

I understand absolutely nothing about priorities, real times scheduling,
or threads and how this should be implemented. But it occurred to me
that one of the advantages of GNU/Linux (and future hurd as well) is the
possibility of using other dumb-workstations do devides intensive tasks
(Rendering Farms, so to speak). Shouldn't this be taken into account
when designing things related to how Protux relates to the kernel, and
how it handles resources in general?

Am I on an trip? Did anyone follow me? RFC...
Fabio.