qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:59:15 -0700

There are already projects around adding front ends. QEMU works just
fine from the command line. This is a proper separation of work from a
software designer's point of view.

For most, usability of an emulator can be summed up in one word: speed.
Any effort to address speed improvements (and at the same time,
stability which is ongoing) is core development.

Are you sure it makes sense have the core developers concentrating on
Windows installers or front ends?

For those that can't wait for "polish," commercial products are out
there for the Windows platform, and Linux too.

The other thing is that front ends will constantly be in flux as new
core features are added. For now, all those features are easily
accessible from the command line for those willing to track cvs.

Having watched this project for a while I see QEMU as a very healthy
project. It is growing rapidly and improving in core functionality. In
some areas it has already outstripped commercial offerings.

But I suppose the only real indicator of real success of FOSS projects
is when the complaints start rolling in ;-)

-- John.