qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?

From: Joe Batt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:27:08 -0500

[I normally hate posting rants partially off topic, but I am anyway.]

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 10:58, Jeebs wrote:
> blah, blah, blah...
Great.  Do it.  You aren't talking about development and you aren't a
developer, so it sounds like a perfect match.

Write up the documents describing what is needed and why.  You may even
convince a developer to do the work.  You may drum up enough support to
sponsor a developer to do the work.

If you do a good job, people will use your work.  If you don't they
wont.

I think you are a bit confused by the FOSS model.  People don't write
code because they are trying to improve the world.  The code is written
for themselves (for use or cash) and is shared with the world (why not,
it doesn't cost to share it and it may come back improved).

[Even further off topic: I just don't understand the whole "front end"
thing.  What can be simpler that typing or building a short
cut/alias/script/batch file to 'qemu -hda w2k.img'?  Qemu seemed much
simpler than VMWare to install and run.]

> At some point, successful open source projects have to transition from
> the 'free for all' attitude and organization to one with some actual
> specified goals and some organization.

You must measure 'successful' differently.  Take a look at the Linux
project someday.  13 years old and there is still confusion as to how a
new developer should get his or her patches in, what will be part of the
next release and when releases will happen.  Most collaboration happens
in a mailing list and I'll bet Linus doesn't read all of his email.
Linux is made user friendly somewhere else (RedHat), not by the core
team.

Joe