qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:41:55 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
Following Fabrice decision to transform QEMU into a proprietary closed
solution

No, Fabrice did not transform QEMU into anything. He simply added another optional module than can make QEMU faster and more bug-free. You can still use QEMU without the accelerator and be perfectly happy with it. Also any further development in area of IO, devices and so on will make both versions better. KQEMU is only very small accelerator.

Think about PHP and different accelerators. PHP itself is free product (PHP licence, IIRC). But there are many (often commercial but not all) accelerators for it (one even made by Zend - autor of PHP). But this does not make PHP less free. There are milions of people using PHP without any accelerator, there are some using it with commercial accelerator and there are few using it with one of free accelerators. Exactly the same goes for QEMU.

QEMU is even better because no non-free part is linked with any code in QEMU (userspace). This way no QEMU based free products (for example GUIs or anything other) are affected by this addition and no licence is broken. GPL, of course, allows calling non-free program or using GPLed program on OS with non-free module.

Strictly speaking there are more problems at the kernel level. This is because Linus and other gave their permission to load non-free modules to the kernel but only as a special exception and mainly because some kernel modules were written for some other OSes and were ported to Linux and their code cannot be opened. This is not the case for KQEMU because it was written especially for Linux but I think this is still more-or-less ok. Nobody will hopefully complain.

[ Fabrice, please make sure that all files linked with QEMU are free because GPL demands that. I did not investigated this but if the header for the module is used in userspace please make it free (BSD?) too. Thanks. ]

Of course it will be better if KQEMU will go opensource but I hope it will happen fast.

without any kind of future, I don't find any reason to loose my
company time and money fostering FreeOSZoo.

Of course its your decision and you have perfect right to make it. But please think once more about it. I think that your project is very valuable for the community.

I will hand over the project to any interested person, for exampe Raphaƫl if
he is interested by FreeOsZoo.

How fast must be the connection for it? How large is it? How much GB/month does it generate currently?

Thanks,

Grzegorz Kulewski