qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.

From: Elefterios Stamatogiannakis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 04:51:37 +0200

I do know of a few others who use qemu on windows host, but they all compile
from source and they only run linux guests. (I am curious why someone would
want to run Windows inside of Windows. Are you being a very thorough beta tester
(which we need), or do you actually have use of such a configuration?)

I regularly test cvs versions of qemu using a windows on windows configuration. There are problems with qemu on a windows host (and i have fully reported them sometime before). The windows on windows is usefull to me because i'm trying to keep updated a (drive)image i have. Unfortunately qemu is not up to the task.

Just curious, have you tried running a Linux guest on these builds? If so, what
was the result?

I also regularly test cvs versions of qemu with a variety of linux livecds on windows host. Qemu works like a champ with linux quests.
 Linux is simply more robust.
For example on booting, linux reports that something funny is happening with the timekeeping and picks some other way for getting the time. From there it happily goes on. Windows 2000 as a guest just quits trying. For example windowsupdate doesn't work complaining that the time is not correct. SSL doesn't work at all (that is the real problem of windowsupdate, i think).

I guess i should find the time someday and fix the problems (probably a gettime call in the windows codepath is incorrect).