qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Open Hack'Ware 0.4 release candidate

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Open Hack'Ware 0.4 release candidate
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:56:07 +0000

What you say about the BeOS:

The BeOS kernel isn't in the ISO part of the CD-ROM, but in the Big Endian BeFS part of it. The BeBox firmware understand this system and loads the PEFF kernel as I commented you a time ago. The BeOS Loader for MacOS seems to load the kernel from the BeFS also and then let control to it removing MacOS from memory.

For getting BeOS compatibility there are two ways:
First of all, emulate a BeBox. This shouldn't be a very hard way, as the BeBox is simply a PReP machine with a lot of chips (SCSI, UARTs, etc) and with an specific BIOS (I think, not similar to OpenFirmware at any point). Second of all, see how the BeOS Loader loads the kernel in a MacOS. The loader don't like at all the software ROM, and probably ignores totally OpenFirmware and relies to ToolBox to get loaded and then do hardware probes (it does directly SCSI commands to load the system on a real Macintosh.)

About Windows NT did you get the kernel to load?
I have also 3.5 and 3.51 so I can help you also in this.

About Pegasos and MorphOS did you pass ago the UART check we had problems before?

You know I offer my help for anything, and I have know more spare time than before.

Regards,
Natalia Portillo