qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] news on the OS X cocoa port

From: Mike Kronenberg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] news on the OS X cocoa port
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:42:16 +0200

[snip]

Right now I'm using .plist(property lists), which is very common in OS X, because you can read them back directly in to an Array or a Dictionaty. It's a standardized XML File. I'm a big fan of XML, but I'm also very much Intrested in having a compatible package over all platforms. I see advantage in XML, because it's a lot more flexible and accurat in storing your Data - well it was defined exactly for that pourpose :)

Fully agree.

My packages look like this:
~/Documents/QEMU/Freedos.qemu/configuration.plist
~/Documents/QEMU/Freedos.qemu/hda.img
~/Documents/QEMU/Freedos.qemu/saved.vm
~/Documents/QEMU/Freedos.qemu/thumbnail.png
or:
~/Documents/QEMU/ReactOS 15412.qemu/configuration.plist
~/Documents/QEMU/ReactOS 15412.qemu/hda.img
~/Documents/QEMU/ReactOS 15412.qemu/saved.vm
~/Documents/QEMU/ReactOS 15412.qemu/thumbnail.png

What about .qvm instead of .qemu ?

Ok for me.

They can nicely be ziped.

A sample configuration .plist:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
<plist version="1.0">
   <dict>
       <key>-boot</key>
       <string>1</string>
       <key>-cdrom</key>
       <string></string>
       <key>-fda</key>
       <string></string>
       <key>-hda</key>
       <string>/Users/mike/Documents/qemu/images/2gb_win2k.img</string>
       <key>-m</key>
       <string>128</string>
       <key>cpu</key>
       <string>0</string>
       <key>custom</key>
       <string></string>
       <key>name</key>
       <string>win2ksp4</string>
       <key>status</key>
       <string>shutdown</string>
   </dict>
</plist>

I assume <key>cpu</key> is the system the image is designed for, f.e. x86? What about some additional keys like author, date of creation, email if someone f.e. downloaded the image from the web and has problems getting it to run?!

This is right from Q, so its no real proposal, just to show the advantages of xml. cpu stands for the guest PC architekture.

I would propose 4 dicts in a containing dict:
- Description (PC Name, Platform)
- Arguments (with the real qemu arguments)
- Author (FreeOSZoo go go go!)
- Temp (to store temporary "nice to have" hints for a specific port)

Hey, FreeOSZoo'ers, what do you think would be also nice to save in the xml regarding distribution on your platform?
According to your site:

ToDO List:
[...]

   1. Create a FreeOSZoo hotdelivery XML format, gathering all
      information needed to download and install FreeOSZoo images. We
      hope that the FreeOSZoo hotdelivery XML format will allow the
      next generation of QEMU GUIs to connect to a distribution site
      and download the needed files automatically. We plan the XML
      file to deliver the following information:
          * Available mirrors for download
          * Bittorent <http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent> trackers
          * Host operating systems requirements
          * Guest operating systems requirements
          * List of free software bundled
          * Upgrading facilities over the Internet
          * Targeted audience (home use, ...)
          * Links to a gallery of screenshots
          * Links to tutorials and help systems
          * Links to live video presentations