qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Open Hack'Ware question

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Open Hack'Ware question
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:42:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, J. Mayer wrote:

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 17:33 +0200, Karel Gardas wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:

That would be cool, since this will also help me with booting
RTEMS/PowerPC apps (which are also standard multi-boot elfs)
Unfortunately, I've not been able to come with any patch for this yet...

You should be able to boot an ELF image using -kernel option.
Or it has been broken once again...
I have to check this point.

Could you be so kind and let me know if it works on qemu trunk? There is a
lot of unknown variables in this equation. Perhaps also RTEMS might be
broken, or Qemu don't like RTEMS way of dealing with PPC750/eMesquito
board...

I will check with a kernel Linux for the PREP target.
But it would be great if you give me a link to a small test image so I
may be able to debug this case and keep it to test regressions with
future versions of OHW / Qemu...

Now, I've build mcp750 BSP of RTEMS 4.7 and using this I've build simple hello world example. Please consider that I do _not_ have this board so I can not verify at all if the example works or not. Anyway, build process produced two executables:

silence:~/cvs/rtems/examples/hello_world_c/o-optimize$ file hello.exe
hello.exe: x86 boot sector
silence:~/cvs/rtems/examples/hello_world_c/o-optimize$ file hello.nxe
hello.nxe: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, not stripped
silence:~/cvs/rtems/examples/hello_world_c/o-optimize$

which is nice since I know even PPC/linux is the `x86 boot sector' file type.

For verification that -kernel might be used w/o -hda, I've tried PREP linux kernel and it booted well. I haven't had any luck with booting elf file `hello.nxe' above, since hackware complain about ``ERROR: Found no boot partition''. When I test hello.exe, it at least doesn't complain, but also doesn't boot. Now I can see:

Load raw file into memory at 100000 160572 (0002733c) 0 (00000000)

at console and when I switch to serial console I even see:

PREP boot... 100200 100000
ERROR: BUG caught...
System call exception
nip=0x00100288 msr=0x00002030 dar=0x00000000 dsisr=0x00000000
Stopping execution

Anyway, you can find all interesting files here:

http://web.iol.cz/kgardas/o-optimize.tar.gz

There is also build.txt containing build log included. You will see that hello.exe is really build ala linux way: bootloaded, gziped elf image and something else together.

Please let me know if you need anything special. Some RTEMS users already promissed to test if RTEMS/mcp750 runs well now, so we will at least know that it should work well.

Thanks!
Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden