qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:12:07 +0400

Samuel Hunt wrote:
It occurs to me that this program would make an excellent basis for a VNC terminal server.

What I'm basically after is something that I can have several clients connect into one server, and the server does all the work and just outputs the screen and stuff over the network and recieves the input over the network.

VNC does all the I/O that's needed, would it be possible to set Qemu up though so it works with VNC as the I/O and simply sits on something like Linux as a server, starting a new instance every time another client connects?

If you use the vnc patch you kinda get a large part of this already. Major issue is still mouse synch, but to be honest if you turn of all acceleration in the guest it stays pretty well synced up now as it is. I use it all the time on my server to host a win2k session when I need to access windows only stuff.. Coupled with kqemu it makes for a pretty quick combination.

I *suspect* this is sort of how win4lin terminal server works, though they use funky additions to keep the mouse sync rock solid and other groovy bits to make life really easy to manage. I've been meaning to try and get my hands on an eval version to try it out.. as <plug here> the desktop version makes life dead easy for almost anyone to just install and go. (like it used to with the old win9x version)

Currently I run gentoo, freebsd-6 and win2k sessions on my server.. they just sit there idle until I connect to them with vnc.. works a treat.

(server is debian)

Brad