qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] windows xp under pclinuxos 2005

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] windows xp under pclinuxos 2005
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:19:56 +0200

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
I'm still thinking FTP would be a useful alternative as it's more low-level.

It is not only simpler, it is no file system.

With FTP, you'd still have to "download" the files to use them. By contrast, SMB and NFS allow you to use the files directly (even writing). I tried to fill this gap by writing vvfat a long time ago, but people seem to hate it.
Actually, I think vvfat is another useful feature (thanks for the work you put into it), but I also think it's not trivial to keep the device in sync while qemu is runnning and writes can occur from the host to the shared directory and from the guest to the virtual hdd / removable medium (hotplug support is needed from the guest or things are likely to go out of sync). With FTP you'd just refresh when the ftp-client asks for a refresh. Much easier to handle this ;) Additionally linux is able to mount FTP as well (using FUSE or LUFS) thou this is a bit of a hack.

In my opinion the versatility of qemu is one of its best features. Therefore I think its good to add various helpers to it, so you can choose the one, which is suited best for your setup/problem. Other products don't offer that flexibility.

With regards and thanks for vvfat,

Jan