qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vs gcc4

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vs gcc4
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:27:08 -0400

On Friday 20 October 2006 2:53 pm, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> Could someone please explain the issue with gcc4, please?  Or point me
> to an existing explanation?
>
> I mean, I understand that qemu is believed to be building incorrectly
> with gcc4.  But what is the failure mode folks have been seeing?  And
> what's being done about it or what needs to be done about it?  Is this
> an issue for all targets or is it x86 specific?

There's a patch to fix it in http://busybox.net/downloads/qemu (which works
for 0.8.0 through 0.8.2, dunno about current cvs).  This is a collection of
four different patches I got from a gentoo web page via google.

Basically, gcc changed in a way that broke qemu.  There's been an open bug
report in gcc ever since, but the GCC developers really aren't interested in
backwards compatability.  (Heck, gcc 4.0 breaks building bash 2.05b).  The
qemu developers aren't interested in applying ugly patches to support gcc 4.x
until gcc 3.x becomes so obsolete nobody ships it anymore.  (And considering
that there are still some niche embedded boards that have hacked up versions
of gcc 2.95 targeting them and nothing else, I wouldn't be surprised if in
five years we have your main compiler and the compiler to build qemu, ala
kgcc under Red Hat 7.  *shrug*)

I was pondered trying to get tcc to build qemu, and even made a mercurial copy
of CVS and started collecting old patches from the list (since CVS hadn't had
a single patch checked into it in eight months and there were other old
patches from a full year ago which I needed to apply before the thing would
work on Ubuntu 6.06).  But Fabrice showed back up on tuesday and checked in a
patch, and now I've got a fork that's out of sync with mainline.  Since I
have no desire to be in Fabrice's way if he still has any interest in the
project, I've mothballed my fork and moved on to other things...

The current state of TCC trying to build qemu-0.8.2 is that it blows up on the
very first file.  Just getting it to compile the full source (let alone
actually work) seems like a significant undertaking, but I was trying it as a
learning experience so who knows how much work it actually is.  Might be
simple if you know what you're doing...

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery