qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] config file support

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] config file support
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:39:00 -0400

On Monday 23 October 2006 1:50 pm, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 October 2006 2:42 pm, Chuck Brazie wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any work going on now to add config file support?
> >>
> >> Chuck Brazie
> >> address@hidden
> >>
> > As a random end-user, I really like being able to run qemu without a
config
> > file, configuring it entirely on the command line.  I'd be highly
> > disappointed if qemu turned into another Wine.
> Except that I never do.  Instead, I write a trivial shell script since I
> can never remember the command line options, much less type them in
> consistently.
>
> What's the difference between a shell script to cover qemu and a
> #!/bin/qemu config file?

The shell script works now, and you're proposing breaking it?

> Seems to me they both address roughly the same
> issues with roughly the same considerations.

Using a *.PIF file is the Windows way.  Using the command line is Linux.

> Am I missing any significant functionality differences?

So you'd have no trouble configuring kde's file type associations to open
arbitrary "*.img" files with qemu when you click on them if you couldn't do
this entirely from the command line?

> --rich

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery