qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [4341] qemu: generate signals on tap I/O

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [4341] qemu: generate signals on tap I/O
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 21:48:31 -0500

Anders wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
You're seeing improvement with normal QEMU? Can you please post a description of what you're seeing improve with SIGIO. SIGIO should really only slow things down.

I found this issue in KVM. I have not timed in QEMU, but the issue seemed generic, so I posted it upstream.

Right, this was an artifact of how KVM handled select. It's not generic at all.

My usecase was a new VNC connection delaying until the next timer tick (which is a really long time in some KVM configurations).

The improvement is from running the select() immediately, rather than waiting around for a timer to expire.

In KVM today, select() is in it's own thread so it will service IO immediately. This makes SIGIO unnecessary (not quite correct yet but will be very soon).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks,
Anders.