qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Ali Chipset support for PC [+ questions about a

From: Tristan Gingold
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Ali Chipset support for PC [+ questions about alpha-softmmu target]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:30:05 +0200

On Sep 9, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Brian Wheeler wrote:

Hello!

Long time listener, first time caller...

Since the ES40 Alpha Emulation project seems to have stalled, I've been
looking at what it would take to get QEmu to a state where it could
emulate an alpha machine.

Hi,

I had the same idea too.  Qemu should be much faster than es40 emulator.

The es40 is basically a PC with an alpha chip instead of an x86 and it
uses the Ali1543C south bridge. This basically is a copy of piix_pci.c so the chipset reports the ALI vendor and device codes to qemu when the
"alipc" machine type is selected.

I've booted Knoppix and it seems to work ok...which is no surpise
considering how minor the changes are.

So, now to the questions:
* Is anyone else working on a softmmu target for the alpha?

I plan to work on it. But first I have to finish the TCG conversion of target-alpha.

* What state is the alpha cpu emulation in, and what's the best way to
test it?

Still beta. It was not maintained nor tested for a while. And bugs were recently found.

* Looking over some of the softmmu targets, it looks like the bulk of
target work (after the cpu emulation, of course) is just attaching all
of the devices in the right places.

Booting might be an issue too as alpha boots from icache.
It looks like es40 has an IO-TLB which is not present in standard PC. I suppose Sparc64 has also
an IO-TLB but I didn't look further.

Tristan.