qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] TCG on PowerPC arch

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] TCG on PowerPC arch
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:44:37 -0500

To summarize, you're saying that the only way you're able to test the
EMAC patch is with a custom firmware you can't make public? Obviously
that's not ideal, but I think some EMAC emulation is better than none
at all, so IMHO that shouldn't necessarily block your patch.

The problem I had when trying to test qemu's 405 emulation was that
Linux needed firmware to load it, and no 405 firmware is distributed
with qemu. At the time, Jocelyn claimed we could download a binary
uboot image from AMCC, but that didn't actually work. (I think we
ended up using
http://www.amcc.com/Embedded/Downloads/download.html?item=129&start=y).
This was probably a year ago, so details are fuzzy now.

However, if you have access to a 440 board, you could use KVM
(http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/PowerPc) to boot a guest kernel with
the EMAC driver and test that way. Qemu's instruction emulation
doesn't support 440, but KVM implements all the instruction emulation
itself and does run on 440.

Anyways, I definitely think it's worthwhile to update your patch to current SVN.

-Hollis