qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Modular qemu?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Modular qemu?
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:57:47 -0600

Avi Kivity wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Plugins are not the solution though.

What about non-plugin dlopen()? Right now building qemu (with all options enabled) requires a large amount of libraries, hence a lot of dependencies. For example, a server setup that will only be used with -vnc needs to have SDL installed. This will only get worse with opengl support.

Practically speaking, how helpful is this? You still need to have the libraries present at build time and it's arguable about how much text savings you get because there's some cruft added from loading the libraries themselves.

If we had cleaner, self-registering interfaces, doing the dlopen() is real easy. I definitely think we should move to that model. The dlopen() part is somewhat orthogonal.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

I'm thinking of something similar to linux kernel modules: no backward compatible ABI, simply load-on-demand functionality that can be packaged separately to reduce dependencies. With kvm integrated, we could even make the cpu emulator an optional loadable module.