qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] branch and tag names

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] branch and tag names
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:05:25 -0500

Andreas Färber wrote:

+1 for v0.10.2

I don't see the point of having stable/0.10 though. Why do we need multiple stable? stable will be branched as v0.10.x, then after the last 0.10.x release, stable can be hard-reset to master and branched as v0.11.x when ready, and so on.

Btw, any plans of doing a pick-up branch now?

My current plan is to fork a stable/0.11 before the 0.11.0 release. We'll do a few release candidates before the final release and then the branch will keep living as the stable series. I'll stop maintaining stable/0.10 after 0.11.0 but at that point but if someone else wants to maintain it (via periodic git pull requests), I'm happy to let it live for as long as there is an active maintainer.

It's relatively easy too. It's just a matter of watching what goes into stable/0.11 and cherry picking appropriately. Any stable/0.10 specific bugs would have to be handled specially too but those should be very rare (hopefully).

I think it really makes most sense for folks that are maintaining something based on a stable branch because of a product (like an enterprise/lts distro release). I expect that not every QEMU release will have a long lived stable branch but I expect some will.

Of course, we still have some time to figure this all out. Based on 0.10.x, I think we need about a month of stabilization for 0.11 so if we stick with 6 month releases, I'd expect stable/0.11 to branch out sometime in late June/early July.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori
Andreas