qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for the 0.11.0 release

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for the 0.11.0 release
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:02:03 +0200

Paul Brook wrote:
> The 32/64-bit switching is just plain wrong, and makes it absolutely
> impossible for a client debugger to work correctly.

As pointed out before, it doesn't break anything but adds a workaround
for scenarios which are _now_ broken (16/32 bit target code exported as
64 bit is widely useless for gdb today). Sorry, but you never explained
to me how user are _currently_ supposed to debug under that conditions,
namely 16/32 bit code executed by qemu-system-x86_64.

> If you really can't be bothered fixing gdb (and you *really* should), then it

I do bother, but it's nothing for a long rainy afternoon.

> should be some form of user switch that tells qemu to always report a 32-bit
> register set.

I could offer to add a monitor command so that one can additionally
set/override the register representation during runtime that way. I do
not see a use case for it based on all the scenarios I'm aware of or
personally ran through the last year, but if it helps acceptance.
However, only a command line switch locking down the mode would solve
just half of the real-world problems.

Jan