qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for the 0.11.0 release

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for the 0.11.0 release
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:03:33 -0500

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Something went wrong during transmission, and I missed that. Just sent
out those two as well.

Thanks, it's now all in staging.

That's nothing those patches changes (it's our current and only
debugging model for SMP until gdb provides a complete solution).

It Paul agrees, I'll pull it. But my understanding from the previous threads and posts was that Paul did not want to implement vCont even as a stop-gap and that he preferred to fix gdb properly.

The recent discussion went around how to deal with some other gdb
limitation: debugging targets that run in x86's 16/32 bit mode vs. the
target arch being advertised as 64 bit. Existing qemu code doesn't work
with existing gdb in this scenario, and the question was how to deal
with it until gdb is improved.

Right, that part I'm okay with. But the vCont based gdb model presumes a unified address space which while usually true for kernel address spaces, isn't universally true and certainly not true when PC is in userspace. That's what I understood to be the major objection to vCont.

 I'm not qualified to
appreciate the difference so I'm inclined to side with Paul.  Am I
missing something there?

I interpreted [1] as that the rest is OK for Paul.

Paul, can you clarify?

--
Regards,

Anthony Liguori