qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for the 0.11.0 release

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for the 0.11.0 release
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:22:09 +0100

> As pointed out before, it doesn't break anything but adds a workaround
> for scenarios which are _now_ broken (16/32 bit target code exported as
> 64 bit is widely useless for gdb today). Sorry, but you never explained
> to me how user are _currently_ supposed to debug under that conditions,
> namely 16/32 bit code executed by qemu-system-x86_64.

You're working around a gdb bug it in a way that means a fixed gdb can't
possibly work.  IMO the cure is worse than the disease.  Changing the register
set reported to gdb part way through a session will always break. There's no
possible way for gdb to what state the target is going to be in until it
actually queries it.

Paul