qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?

From: Torbjorn Granlund
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:02:22 +0200

Alexander Graf <address@hidden> writes:

  Where exactly do the Linux kernels hang here? For BSD, I don't
  know. If there are patches flowing in to fix BSD support, I'll gladly
  review and take them, but I won't proactively try to get it running.

Is this how most qemu hackers feel, in effect that qemu is a hardware
emulator for the kernel linux?  To me, that seem like aiming low, and also
a strategy resulting in a less robust program.  (I maintain a couple of
free software packages, and I certainly run as many tests as possible to
make them robust.)

(1) For ppc32, gentoo hans quickly, the last line is this:

    Memory: 247644k/262144k avalable (5652k kernel code, 14500l reserved, 212k
data, 137k  bss, 260k ini

    This last line is long, it is truncated to the right.

(2) For ppc64, the last lines are:

    Calling quiesce ...
    returning from prom_init

    This happens is almost immediately, within a second.

    (Debian and Gentoo hangs at the same positions.)

(3) The sparc64 crash for Debian happens much later.  The last lines are:

    /bin/sh: relocation error: /bin/sh: symbol eaitpid, version GLIBC_2.0 not
defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    [   48.xxxxxx] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
    [   48.xxxxxx] Press Stop-A (L1-A) to return to the boot prom

I am not sure gentoo should be expected to work, at least not the 64-bit
kernel.  It claims to be "G5" whatever that means (G5 is Apple's name for
the IBM ppc970 processor, not a particular computer architecture, so I am
not sure what gentoo means).

  Well, the good news on this part is that the qemu web page is a wiki! So
  if there's no status in there at all, feel free to add your experience.
  Natalia also has a page trying to list compatibility.

Do you have a pointer to that page of this Natalia?

BTW, this is the qemu version I am trying:

king$ qemu --version
QEMU emulator version 0.13.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

--
Torbjörn