qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?

From: Torbjorn Granlund
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:39:33 +0200

  > "install64", which comes a bit longer.  It fails in a new way: it
  > ignores keyboard input, This happens after the kernel has booted, and
  > the installer has started.

  Yes, ignoring keyboard input sounds right. The issue here is that
  we're basically emulating a PPC32 machine, but plug in a PPC64
  CPU. This works mostly, but for ADB it breaks, as the guest kernel
  doesn't have support for our ADB controller. Unfortunately, keyboard
  and mouse are attached using ADB.

  One way to get around this is to use -usb -usbdevice keyboard.

That makes no difference.  I suppose it is still using the adb keyboard.

  Another way is to use the serial port instead of graphical console.

I cannot get this to work either.

With -nographic I get the same lock as initially, after

  Device tree strings 0x0000000002450000 -> 0x00000000024504d9
  Device tree struct  0x0000000002451000 -> 0x0000000002453000
  Calling quiesce ...
  returning from prom_init

it hangs.

  Please also keep in mind that PPC emulation is _very_ slow.

Why is it slow?

  If you need performance for this, please just grab a PPC machine and
  use KVM on it. It will be a lot faster.

Physical machines take space and need power.  Qemu is a lot leaner.  :-)

--
Torbjörn