qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] directory hierarchy

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] directory hierarchy
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 09:40:40 -0500

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> Il 14/09/2012 15:36, Peter Maydell ha scritto:
>> On 14 September 2012 14:17, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> here is a proposal for moving around 150 C files currently in the
>>> toplevel directory to separate, well-delimited subdirectories.
>>
>> No general objection (though some specific comments below). However
>> I think it would be helpful if you could provide some descriptions of
>> how your new subdirectories are defined. Otherwise the "well-delimited"
>> bit is largely in your head and future new files aren't likely to
>> respect it except by accident :-)
>
> Good question.  I just tried to use some taste, so well-delimited is a
> bit of a lie.  I mostly care that sysemu/, tools/, qga/ and user/ are
> well-delimited, i.e. executables do not have sources from other
> executables' directories, and similarly common/ is just for emulators.
>
>>> Header
>>> files would be moved for now in include/, preparing for subsequent
>>> reorganization of headers.
>>
>> Just in include/, or in include/qemu/ ? (IIRC Anthony was hoping
>> to only move cleaned-up headers in there?)
>
> I dislike include/qemu, for the same reason I dislike qemu-*. :)

It's good to put includes in a single direction such that you can do
-Iinclude and then:

#include "qemu/foo.h"

Which is better than:

#include "foo.h"

Because the later can create confusion/conflict with system headers
whereas the former is (hopefully) completely unambiguous.

> Moving to include/ would be to clean up the top-level directory, withour
> touching the source code.  If something can be moved directly to one of
> the new source directories, that's also fine but I don't have high
> hopes.

I actually thinking moving to -Iinclude is a Good Thing for now because
it avoids touching a bunch of .c files.  In the longer term, we should
continue to clean up headers and move them into qemu/ though.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori